Flavorful Sundal Recipe for Ganesh Chaturthi | A Wholesome Delight
Ganesh Chaturthi is a time of devotion, traditions, and delectable offerings. Among the array of festive treats, Sundal holds a special place as a wholesome and nutritious option. This South Indian snack, made from various legumes and spices, is not only a delight to the taste buds but also a nourishing choice. Join us as we share the secret recipe to create Sundal, a flavorful and protein-rich snack that adds a touch of tradition to your celebrations.
- 1 cup boiled and drained legumes (chickpeas, black-eyed peas, or green gram)
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon urad dal (split black gram)
- A pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- 2-3 dried red chilies
- Curry leaves
- A squeeze of lemon juice (optional)
- Chopped coriander leaves for garnish
- Salt to taste
- Boiling the Legumes:
- Choose your preferred legumes (chickpeas, black-eyed peas, or green gram) and soak them overnight. Boil until they are tender. Drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add mustard seeds and let them splutter.
- Add urad dal, dried red chilies, and curry leaves. Sauté until the dal turns golden brown.
- Adding Asafoetida and Legumes:
- Stir in a pinch of asafoetida (hing) and add the boiled and drained legumes to the pan.
- Incorporating Coconut:
- Add grated coconut to the mixture and sauté for a minute to infuse the flavors.
- Seasoning and Optional Lemon Juice:
- Season the Sundal with salt and mix well. Optionally, add a squeeze of lemon juice for a tangy twist.
- Garnishing and Serving:
- Remove the pan from heat and transfer the Sundal to a serving dish.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves for a burst of freshness.
- Offering and Sharing:
- Offer the nutritious Sundal to Lord Ganesha as a symbol of devotion.
- Share this wholesome snack with family and friends, spreading the joy of the festival.
With our Sundal recipe, you can embrace the spirit of Ganesh Chaturthi by offering and savoring this flavorful and nutritious South Indian snack. Sundal not only delights the senses but also reflects the essence of tradition and devotion. As you prepare and share this delightful treat, may it add a touch of wholesomeness, positivity, and the blessings of Lord Ganesha to your festive celebrations.