Divine Sweet Kozhukattai Recipe | A Festive Delight for Ganesh Chaturthi
Ganesh Chaturthi is a time to honor Lord Ganesha with devotion, prayers, and offerings. One such offering that holds a special place is Sweet Kozhukattai. These tender rice dumplings, filled with a luscious mixture of jaggery and coconut, symbolize the love and reverence of the devotees. Join us as we share the secret recipe to create these divine treats that will add a touch of sweetness to your festive celebrations.
For the Outer Dough:
- 1 cup rice flour
- A pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Water as needed
For the Sweet Filling:
- 1 cup grated coconut
- 1/2 cup grated jaggery
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder
- A pinch of nutmeg powder
- Chopped nuts (cashews, almonds) – optional
- Making the Sweet Filling:
- In a pan, combine the grated coconut and grated jaggery.
- Cook the mixture on medium heat, stirring continuously, until the jaggery melts and blends with the coconut.
- Stir in cardamom powder, nutmeg powder, and chopped nuts (if using). Remove from heat and let it cool.
- Preparing the Dough:
- In a saucepan, bring water to a boil along with a pinch of salt and a teaspoon of sesame oil.
- Gradually add rice flour to the boiling water while stirring continuously. Mix until the dough comes together and forms a smooth ball.
- Assembling the Kozhukattai:
- While the dough is still warm, knead it gently to make it smooth.
- Take a small portion of the dough and shape it into a ball. Flatten it between your palms to form a small cup-like shape.
- Place a spoonful of the prepared sweet filling inside the dough cup.
- Shaping the Kozhukattai:
- Pinch the edges of the dough cup to seal the filling inside. Gently press and shape the top to resemble a Kozhukattai.
- Steaming the Kozhukattai:
- Grease a steamer plate with a little oil to prevent sticking.
- Place the shaped Kozhukattai on the greased plate and steam them for about 10-12 minutes until they become glossy and translucent.
- Offering and Sharing:
- Once the Kozhukattai are cooked, offer them to Lord Ganesha with love and devotion.
- Share these divine treats with family and friends as a gesture of togetherness and celebration.
With our Sweet Kozhukattai recipe, you can bring the spirit of devotion and celebration to your Ganesh Chaturthi festivities. These tender rice dumplings, filled with the sweetness of jaggery and the aroma of coconut, are a testament to the love and reverence for Lord Ganesha. Craft these divine treats with care and offer them with a heart full of devotion, spreading blessings and joy to all who partake in their divine flavors.