Crispy and Delightful Medu Vada Recipe | Ganesh Chaturthi Recipes | South Indian Favorite
Embark on a culinary journey to South India with the enticing aroma and flavors of Medu Vada. Crispy on the outside and soft on the inside, this beloved snack is a staple in Indian households. Whether served with coconut chutney or sambar, Medu Vada never fails to impress. Join us as we share the secret to creating these delightful treats in your own kitchen.
- 1 cup urad dal (split black gram)
- A pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2-3 green chilies, finely chopped
- A handful of curry leaves, finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying
- Preparing the Urad Dal:
- Wash the urad dal thoroughly and soak it in water for about 3-4 hours.
- Drain the soaked dal and grind it to a smooth batter using minimal water. The batter should be fluffy and airy.
- Adding Flavors:
- Add asafoetida, cumin seeds, chopped green chilies, chopped curry leaves, and salt to the batter. Mix well to incorporate the flavors.
- Shaping the Vadas:
- Heat oil in a deep pan for frying.
- To shape the vadas, wet your hands and take a small portion of the batter. Flatten it slightly and create a hole in the center to form a doughnut shape.
- Gently slide the shaped vada into the hot oil. You can also wet your fingers and directly drop the batter into the oil.
- Frying the Vadas:
- Fry the vadas on medium heat, turning them occasionally, until they turn golden brown and crisp on all sides.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the vadas from the oil and drain excess oil on a paper towel.
- Serve and Enjoy:
- Serve the hot and crispy Medu Vadas with coconut chutney, tomato chutney, or sambar.
- Enjoy this delectable South Indian snack as a breakfast treat or a delightful evening snack.
With our Medu Vada recipe, you can recreate the magic of South Indian street food right in your kitchen. These crispy and flavorful vadas, paired with your favorite chutney or sambar, are sure to be a hit among family and friends. Whether you’re new to cooking or an experienced chef, making Medu Vada is a delightful and rewarding culinary experience that will leave you craving for more.